Happy news and a lot of leather strapping, together at last - Tactical Ninja
Aug. 15th, 2013
09:44 am - Happy news and a lot of leather strapping, together at last
So I heard from DoomBoy, apologising for, but not explaining, the 'mix-up'. I'm still kind of angry, but apparently he'll be back next Wednesday or Thursday and by then I probably won't be. I dunno, is this a sacking offence? He's done a very good job until now, his rates are reasonable and we get along pretty well. I guess everyone gets one fuckup?
I mean really really, nearly there. Remember back a few weeks ago how I was all EVERYTHING IS PREP WHEN WILL I STOP DOING PREP ARGH? Well, it seems I've stopped doing prep. The stuff is made, and now it's mostly just being assembled. Last night I added buckles to the armour straps and attached them to the breastplate:
Note the leatherworking tool collection: hole punch (which now works properly dreadbeard - I fixed the German engineering with kiwi ingenuity and a pair of pliers), rivets, rivet setter and anvil, awl, mallet for setting rivets, pen for marking holes, and the ubiquitous scrap bit of leather for backing, well.. everything. I inherited this scrap from my Mum and I know eventually I'll have to throw it out because it'll be more holes than leather, but it has sentimental value and while it's still useful, I'm keeping it.
There is a total of 11m of leather strapping in this outfit. This is some of it:
Shoulder straps crossing at the back and attaching at the front to hold the breastplate on, long straps from the front of the breastplate, crossing in the small of the back and holding the leg armour plates on, a belt to hold the waist armour on, and multiple straps for the gauntlets and greaves.. all the leather, essentially. And it all has to be dubbined and softened because the dyeing process strips what little moisture it had right out (because most leather dyes contain alcohol - although I wouldn't try drinking them). This involves rubbing the dubbin in and then bending it as far as it'll go one way along the entire length, then again the other way, then twisting and wrenching it until it's soft.
Then I made a gauntlet. Here's an action shot (blurry from the speed of my sewing):
My stitching is actually neater than this picture would lead you to believe. Honest. Anyway, the Gloves of the Silent One are actually portrayed as made in one piece (ie glove and gauntlet attached together), but I've made a separate set of gloves and bracers so that if I'm too hot I can take the gloves off and still be armoured. They look hardcore on. Well, it looks hardcore on. And gives me +12 armour and +3.5% healing. Guess I'd better do the other one then.
And here is a picture of The Hoff wearing what's been completed so far:
Tonight I'll thread the leg armour plates onto their straps and set them in place. After that, there are a few small tasks (velcro-ing the gryphon badge for the left shoulder for easy attachment/removal, painting a couple of keepers to match the armour, making the hood), and then it's done. I really am nearly there!
And in happy news, my client from Saturday called me this morning to let me know that the ewe whose bearing I replaced had her lamb yesterday, and since the internal pressure has let up her bearing is staying in place without the retainer. Because I'm like that, I suggested he keep a close eye on her anyway in case there's another lamb in there that hasn't come out yet, or in case she shows signs of internal infection, but *fingers crossed* I think we can call that one a success!
This makes me very happy. So often these things turn out badly, and quite often I never find out how they turned out at all. This guy is fast becoming one of my favourite clients. ;-)