It's the 'tele' part that makes me go O.o - Tactical Ninja
Aug. 13th, 2013
09:09 am - It's the 'tele' part that makes me go O.o
Me: *looks over at Dr Wheel* "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
Me: *looks over at Dr Wheel* "Eeeeeeeeeeee!"
No I have not been prodding him to make sure he's real. Not very hard, anyway. *ahem* Suffice to say that he is home in one piece and working on convincing his body that it's not actually the other end of the day, and me being knackered after a full day of work yesterday saw us in bed at 7:30pm like the wild and crazy party animals that we aren't. And we have all the Dutch licorice ever. OM NOM NOM NOM
So, sewing the tabard wasn't the hardest thing I've ever sewn - that honour goes to either the Stealth Cloak of Raviness or that rubberised shiny fabric that I refuse to sew ever again ever. But it was up there:
The scales get caught on the edge of the table and the edge of the sewing machine and well, the edge of anything that sticks out really. And it's heavy enough so that if you don't constantly hold it and feed it, it pulls the needle offcentre and that is never good. However, it's more about patience and careful handling than any really technical problem and after about 20 minutes, it was done.
Incidentally, today I am taking The Hoff home to work as a stand for it, because at the moment it's in bags on the floor and I'd like to have it where I can see it coming together. Also, it'll take up less space like that I think. So you might get photos that don't include my carpet. Yup. I won't be posting pics of me in it until a) it's finished and b) pombagira and I have done a proper photo session so I look all magely and stuff.
Anyway, the other thing that's nearly done is the armour. It's all weathered now. I did this by washing it with graphite, then a mix of burnt umber and mars black. You basically make a muddy sloppy mix of paint and water, then slap it on the bit of armour:
Then you dab at it with a paper towel until it looks how you want. The paint settles in dents and cracks and corners, and makes things look old and grubby. Sounds counterproductive, right? But new and shiny is not the look we're going for here. I have an added advantage that the things I'm making don't have to have a high gloss, and because they'd be hand made for real, they would have imperfections and dents anyway - so that covers a multitude of sins and my fuckups actually make it look more authentic. Yay for having a medieval based fandom and not a high-tech one!
The breastplate required a little more care, but here's the finished articles:
They are now ready for their finishing protective coat. Normally, Rub 'n' Buff doesn't require finishing if you do it right because it forms a solid wax coating in itself. But I have painted over it and paint needs finishing. Unfortunately, most paint finishes don't work well over Rub 'n' Buff because they react with it and melt it. However, my trial run using matt Mod Podge appears to be working. It says on the bottle it's a finish too, and so I'm giving it a test run. So far, so good. I'll do the rest tonight, then glue the felt on the back of the pieces (to protect them from each other), and then it'll be ready to thread onto its leather support structures - which looks not a little like bondage. O.o
Meanwhile, the daggers are progressing too:
I am not sure how I feel about that copper colour. It's the second time I've used it and while it's ok, it seems a bit unrealistic/cartoony. I'm going to try weathering it to see if that helps. The other colour which looks like old gold, is actually called bronze. I like that one - I also used it on Cold Blooded - and will probably use it more in the future. Anyway, these are almost ready for their leather handle bindings, then a final touch of silver highlighting to give the blades their edges and these are done too. I hope they strike that balance of looking real enough but not so real that people think they are real weapons and take them off me.
So yeah, I'm getting close to finishing. Ye gods, that went faster than expected! Having said that, there is at least another couple of weeks' work to get it finalised, and now I'm back at work things'll slow down a bit I guess. And then I'd better write that damn academic article that I've been procrastinating on. Ah well, at least my displacement activities are interesting...
Also, a word that was on a flyer from the Netherlands about an art show that was being advertised (at least I think it was an art show, my Dutch is not very good) - teledildonics.
Think about that for a second. Teledildonics.
Yup. Europe is very different from here.