1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
2CE. Learned to weave. Attempted a long distance relationship. Dealt with an estate. Tried to sell a house. Submitted my CV to someone in another country.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
The only New Years' resolution I make is to use the beginning of the year to set the tone for the rest of it, and thus do it well. This year I brought the New Year in at a party where I was surrounded by my favourite people which was neat, but the party just didn't quite do it for me. That would be a good metaphor for this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Sadly, for the first time since I've been doing this, yes. Mum died after being sick for three years. Then there was Anita, who wasn't close but who took her own life and thus affected a large number of people I am close to. And a couple of weeks ago, Alfred from DropZone, also with cancer. There have been too many deaths this year.
5. What countries did you visit?
Porirua? I didn't leave New Zealand this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Space for relaxation, a nice lack of looming unpleasantness.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
11 July, the day Mum died. 25th October, the day Joel flew out to Hong Kong.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my shit together, basically.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't think I failed at anything this year. Keeping on trucking is what I'm good at, and failure is not an option.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Pompholyx. It's not exacty illness but it''s fun to say!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My loom. A scarification. Decent sound system for my car. Kontrol X1. Tickets to Hong Kong.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
fuvenusrs for finding something she's good at, that she's also passionate about, and kicking arse at it in a way that opened the door to opportunity.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Also fuvenusrs for not believing in herself and putting up imaginary barriers, and for doing things that are self-defeating despite sound advice from friends. BUT! 12 and 13 should be reversed because fuvenusrs remedied this one with the other one in inimitable style.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Supporting myself and The Kid. But after that, my education. And I bought a car cos the Lancer died.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Nothing. This is kind of sad but also understandable. I'm excited about both going to Hong Kong and about my scarification, but neither of those are happening until next year.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Drops of Jupiter by Train. I know it's old, I know it's cheesy but it keeps popping up randomly and I've listened to it a lot this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or hardened?: I have to be honest and say I am less happy.
ii. thinner or fatter?: Some things never change. My size is one of them.
iii. richer or poorer?: Probably richer, because I inherited a small amount of money and got a payrise. And experiences make you richer, right?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Dancing (there should always be more dancing), travelling, practicing beatmatching, having adventures. This hasn't changed since last year. I'd like to add, spending time relaxing with loved ones.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Grieving. Missing people I love.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I will be hanging out with other folks that don't have large family gatherings, then I'll be at home and grist will come round and thomasdequinc is going to make us something with lots of steak, bacon and cheese in it. This is our first Christmas without Mum and it feels a bit weird but we're determined to get together and do something anyway.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I think it might have been Season 3 of the Tudors.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't do hate. It's too much effort.
26. What was the best book/fanfic you read?
Toss up between The Algebraist by Iain M Banks and A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
The chance to be independently wealthy.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I haven't really thought of a favourite. I really enjoyed RED, and Winter's Bone was very good but harrowing. I'm told I should see Scott Pilgrim vs The World.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I took 2CB and went to see Avatar in 3D. It was awesome. I turned 40.
32. Whats one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't think I can answer this question this year. There are things but they're all "If this didn't happen" type things and that's not what this is about.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
"I have no time for making myself clothes." However, I noticed the shops this year have things I like in them so maybe I'll buy some.
34. What kept you sane?
Dynomite. Inane flash game that requires no thinking or commitment. Good for when you feel like you're going nuts. I'm almost over it after 8 months.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ed Norton/John Simm.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
WikiLeaks. Because it sums up my feelings about governments and the way they are going. Those whose job it is to be concerned with our welfare, who we pay to look after the big stuff, should not be performing machinations that cause people to die, in secret. End of story.
37. Who did you miss?
ferrouswheel. Mum. ferrouswheel. Dad. ferrouswheel.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I haven't really met that many new people this year and there aren't any that stand out as 'best'. My focus has been elsewhere. Sorry guys. Can I say rikan_feral again? I kind of feel like I've got to know him in a whole new way this year and he's pretty fucking cool. Even if he is a chardonnay socialist.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
I don't think I can answer this either. I haven't got far enough through the learning to articulate what it is I've learned.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
So much heaven, so much hell
So much joy, so much pain
So much more than I thought this world could ever contain
Benny Benassi ~ Bombs
Can I get a resounding "ROLL ON NEXT YEAR"??