1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Attended a parent-teacher interview, travelled with a partner, made out with a girl, mescaline, DXM, shore Arapawas, fulfilled a long-term fantasy, been a parent to a teenager, learned to DJ.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
The only New Years' resolution I make is to use the beginning of the year to set the tone for the rest of it, and thus do it well. This year I brought in the New Year surrounded by people I love, in happy fun crazy style, feeling like my heart was going to explode with happiness. I think I've mostly achieved living this through the year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
South Africa! Australia, in passing.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
The time, the energy and the money, all at the same time. Actually, that's not true, I've achieved that several times this year. So next year I'll go for this consistenly.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
22 Jan. The day Tommy arrived. I picked him up from the plane and we went to the top of Mt Victoria and took videos of dancing - here's mine. My life changed completely that day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Measurable? Acing all my courses and getting to Africa. Keeping the teenager alive. Personal? Beating the malaise that struck me after getting back from Africa. Maintaining last year's improvements.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting things get on top of me after getting back from Africa.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Depression, briefly. I won. Nyah!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets to AfrikaBurns!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
rivet, who finished her PhD this year amid rolling life changes. ferrouswheel who continues to fly high after shooting out of the cannon of academia last year, and who inspires me daily with his courage to be himself. pombagira who's in the process of becoming everything she wants to be. happyinmotion and tieke for their unerring determination. thomasdequinc for adapting to a completely new life with grace and humour, and showing me the man he's going to be. But mostly, my Mum, for her humour and positive attitude in some very difficult times.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Appalled? Paula Bennett, who seems to have forgotten that sometimes bootstraps aren't enough. Our government for failing almost completely on real action regarding climate change. Depressed? Nobody.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Supporting myself and The Kid. But after that, Africa and my education ate about equal amounts. All money well spent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Kiwiburn. The social construction of knowledge. ferrouswheel. Africa. Africa. Africa. Being photographed nude. Some things I'm keeping private for the moment.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
We Got Soul in Africa by some artist I've never heard of, playing in Siobhan's bakkie while we were building the structure for PartYcipation on a beautiful clear cold morning in the Karoo.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or hardened?: Happier, definitely. I was pretty happy then so that's saying something.
ii. thinner or fatter?: Some things never change. My size is one of them.
iii. richer or poorer?: Probably poorer, but it doesn't feel like it, my life is so rich.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Dancing (there should always be more dancing), travelling, practicing beatmatching, having adventures (although I've had plenty really, there can always be more).
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Letting things get on top of me, worrying about money.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Wake up with ferrouswheel, eat pancakes, tackle the Pile O Pressies, spend the day at home hanging out with whoever chooses our company
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't do hate. It's too much effort.
26. What was the best book/fanfic you read?
Sad but true, I really enjoyed The Game by Neil Strauss. I started off wanting to disparage it but by the end I had developed enough respect for the author that I read his next book as well, and enjoyed that too. Breaking Open The Head was also a good read.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
Real love, adventures in faraway places.
29. What did you want and not get?
The chance to be independently wealthy.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Avatar. I want to live in a world that fluoresces at night! I watched District 9 just before going to Africa, and while I wouldn't call it enjoyable (too harrowing), it was a very good movie.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 39. I ate steak because that's what I do on my birthday, then drove off to Kuratau with ferrouswheel where we stayed in a house with an eyrie and indulged ourselves for a weekend in every way possible.
32. Whats one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Y'know this year has been immeasurably satisfying. My friends are on the up and up, achieving their goals. I'm in love with a man who knows how to love back, and experiencing the liberation that goes with being able to grow and change. My kid is pretty awesome, I rock at my job, academically I'm doing ok. I've travelled (to Africa!) and had adventures and firsts of all kinds. The only thing I can think of to wish for is good health for my Mum.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
"One day I'll make something for myself that isn't fluoro."
34. What kept you sane?
The knowledge that the people in my life aren't going to run away even when I'm a bit insane.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The sacking of David Nutt. WTF Britain? It's made it pretty obvious just how much governments try to pull the wool over the eyes of the public because to do otherwise would be 'too hard.'
37. Who did you miss?
ferrouswheel, when he was in China but most especially when he was in San Francisco.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Richard Palmer and his lovely wife Jeanne Dee, who I met in Africa. Wonderful people who inspired, entertained and organised the camp we were staying in. I've been swapping music with Richard since we got back, and I'm amazed at the depth and breadth of his knowledge, and also of both of their hearts.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
That love is not about possession. I kind of knew this already, but to know something and to experience it at soul level are two different things. To genuinely allow and be allowed the freedom to pursue one's bliss - that's love. And also that sharing the things you're scared to talk about can open doors in unexpectedly good ways. To be brave about my desires.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I feel a river in flood in my veins
I can feel your love in my brain
It wants to dance my life
Through a hurricane
Dance the mamba across
The Oshakati plain
~Johnny Clegg, Are You Ready?
Well, are you?