Since everyone's doing it - Tactical Ninja
May. 17th, 2011
12:01 pm - Since everyone's doing it
Hi, new people!
Existing people, please ignore/take the piss/whatever.
Vitalstats - 41f living in New Zealand. I work at a geeky full time job doing technical wordsmithing that's only interesting to me and about five other people in the country. I'm good at it. I have pink hair and a variety of body mods. The Kid is 15m and spent most of his childhood living with his Dad in belowmentioned small town.
In a previous life I was:
- attempting to meet societal expectations (marriage etc). Failed dismally, left smalltown NZ for colder climes, ended up in Wellington where people don't really think I'm a freak all that much.
- a sheep shearer, rousie, shepherd, florist, freezing worker, tutor of 'problem' teenagers, umm.. probably forgot something
- less confident
- I'm a filthy socialist, although Happy tells me I'm actually a social democrat but whatever, my beliefs are almost entirely based in the idea that we are all in this together and therefore everyone's wellbeing is everyone's responsibility. My personal philosophy is a bit libertarian but I'm not dumb enough to think that works for everyone.
- Studying Social Policy and Criminology at university, been at it over 3 years, one paper per trimester, currently on State Crime and thus prone to ranting about globalisation without warning. I'm studying this because I got tired of our stupid drug laws criminalising ordinary people while totally failing to help those who really need it. Since then my horizons have expanded globalisation yaddayaddayadda
- I have Little Country Syndrome. It probably annoys the USians because I'm also prone to ranting about the ways in which our giant cousin squashes us every time it rolls over in bed. An artefact of this is that I insist on using local colloquialisms in US-dominated forums, jumping up and down about how we exist, and am held almost single-handedly responsible for the American Privilege debacle (even though I didn't actually write the thing).
You will hear me mention Dr Wheel* (partner) and Happy (friend) a lot. You'll figure out who they are. Everyone else gets mentioned by their LJ name, except TAFKARF, who is The Artist Formerly Known As Rikan Feral, another friend who ditched LJ because it's not cool enough for him any more now he has a record deal. *snerk*
Um, what else? Last year I lost my Mum after a long battle with cancer. My Dad died in 2004 so I'm officially an orphan. My dog died in March. I'm kind of done with death for the time being, but at the same time all the icky stuff has turned some kind of corner in my life and cleared my future if that makes any sense.
 I forgot - I have a small run shearing sheep for lifestylers, and sometimes post about my clients both human and ovine. I make stuff. All sorts of stuff, mostly costumes but have been branching out into textiles. Sometimes I post photos of my stuff for validation. ;-)
I write about whatever random shite is in my head on any given day. Other people say it's interesting. Sometimes there are discussions here, more often there's just silliness. And yeah, occasional political/feminist rants.
Prone to being opinionated in forums. Believe in openness therefore my blog is mostly unlocked.
* He's an artificial intelligence research scientist. Translation - he's building Skynet. Unfortunately NZ is not exactly an AI mecca, and he's currently commissioned in Hong Kong where I'm told he plays videogames with orangutans. I miss him lots.
So yeah, hi. ;-)
 Since I made this I've moved from studying state crime to social movements, and The Kid has turned 16 so is now known as the Youth of Today, and I have bought an apartment in the central city.